Re: system hangs after installation reboot...

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 05:47 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> Thought I would let Fedora know that after a clean installation (don't
> know about upgrade) reboot, my system hangs. The screen goes black
> right when it reboots and hangs. It won't let me restart, or turn my
> computer off.

Sounds like it went into a sleep/suspend mode and wouldn't wake up.

> So I cut my power supply off and then turned it back on the power
> supply kept running, which is unusual,

In what way did you cut it off?  If you mean touching the momentary
power switch on an ATX type of power supply, that may turn the power
supply off, it might put the box into standby mode.  It's configurable.

> and the screen stayed black, did that again, and the same thing happened.

This does sound like the system is in a standby mode and not waking up.

> Eventually turned the main power supply (with a battery, that powers
> my whole system, and protects it from electrical surge) and cut it
> back on. Then turned my power supply on and the computer finally cut
> on.

A full cold reboot might be needed if some hardware doesn't reset.  Did
the problems outlined previously reoccur?  When you tried shutting down
again?

On some hardware it doesn't probably shut down, the process gets stuck
after the shutdown of the OS.  In the past I had to add kernel
parameters to change the power mode (APM, ACPI, etc.), for some of my
motherboards.

> The reason I don't like this is because it could have shot my BIOS, I
> think, not sure though.

Dunno why you think that.