Re: Video drivers on laptop with ATI card.

On 14/12/06, Phil Meyer <pmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The vesa driver cannot do the wide screen resolutions as mentioned, ie:
1920x1200, 1920,1080, 1600x1200, 1600x1080, or 1280x800.

Gotcha. I really hate pixel dithering, so I'll avoid that driver.

Not knowing what specific display you ordered, we can only guess what
will happen.  My guess it that you will get 1280x1024, or 1024x768, and
that it will look 'funny' but usable.  That is what vesa is for -- it
just works when nothing else will.

But, that'll be enough (temporarily) for me to find something better. Good.

> The laptop should arive any day now, and I'd like to have it going as
> soon as possible, naturally. Thanks.
It will work with FC6 out of the box.  Only issues are:

Which wireless card did they install?
Any wireless card that Dell sells by default will work, but may need
ndiswrappers to make it work.

I specifically got the Intel card, by recommendation from this list,
because it is reputed to work without the ndiswrappers.

The ATI X1400 based laptops simply cannot run AIGLX right now.  The
radeon driver does not yet know that card, and the ATI drivers do not
support the new Xorg extension.  Both of those things may change in the
next few weeks.  The newest ATI drivers are expected any time, but it is
unknown yet if they will include the new Xorg extension.

You will want to download the latest drivers from ATI for 32bit Linux
and install them.  That way you can at least get proper resolution from
your laptop display.  The guys at phoronix.com maintain a blog about
these very issues.  Please, check it out.  Its called the redblog.

I'm not so interested in running 3D effects. I will probably run some
light video, but I mostly use Open Office/Koffice, Kmail, Firefox, and
other not-too-graphics-heavy programs.

My office buys Dell laptops, and many run Linux.  Guess who's job it is
to  make that happen?

Good to know. What beer do you drink? :)

My Inspiron 9400 is among them.  It never even got the chance to run
MSWindows.  I powered it on, opened the CDROM and inserted my Fedora
install disk before it finished post. :)

You should've declined the Windows license and photographed the
non-effort. Dell would have refunded your $50 (at least, they did to
some other guy not so long ago).

Thanks for the tips.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/why_are_internet_greeting_cards_dangerous.html