Re: swap not turned on at boot

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 15:30 -0500, ron wrote:
> Sorry here is the fstab:
>
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot              /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> devpts                   /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> tmpfs                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                     /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> sysfs                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01  swap                   swap    defaults        0 0
>
> -ron-

Hi, ron,
here is the pertinent portion of the rc.sysinit script:
# Start up swapping.
update_boot_stage RCswap
action $"Enabling /etc/fstab swaps: " swapon -a -e
if [ "$AUTOSWAP" = "yes" ]; then
        curswap=$(awk '/^\/dev/ { print $1 }' /proc/swaps | while read
x; do get
_numeric_dev dec $x ; echo -n " "; done)
        swappartitions=`blkid -t TYPE=swap -o device`
        if [ x"$swappartitions" != x ]; then
                for partition in $swappartitions ; do
                        [ ! -e $partition ] && continue
                        majmin=$(get_numeric_dev dec $partition)
                        echo $curswap | grep -qw "$majmin" || action
$"Enabling
local swap partitions: " swapon $partition
                done
        fi
fi

But you also need the random seed setup first.  Swap uses randomizing as
form of gaussian optimization in most cases, and in others a psuedo
rancom sequence establsihes the block offsets so they can be repeated.
But it is sort of the drunkmans walk approach to optimization of access
times and interpolation indices.  In any event I think the
initialization of the random seed occurs in the encryption
initialization portion of the script.  Be very careful of editing the
sysinit script.  This is one place where any unix or unix like system
can really be messed up (but it can be corrected by simply finding an
unedited version of the script in 99% of the cases.)

Regards,
Les H