Re: empty directories installed by fc5 x86_64

Later on, he writes:

> mounting hda2 on /mnt/fc5-64 reveals the following.
>
> [root@office keepertoad]# ls -l /mnt/fc5-64/dev
> total 0

That explains it.

/dev, /proc, /sys and I *think* /selinux are virtual filesystems --
their contents don't appear on disk. They're either generated on access
or on boot and are held in memory.

/opt, /srv and /misc will be empty by default on a proper install
(they're for you to fill as appropriate). /boot and /home may well be
mount-points for other filesystems (and /mnt is) -- so if you mount the
root filesystem from another OS, they will be empty.

And /net doesn't exist by default -- if you want it, you create it.

Tim's solved one of your problems -- what's the current state of things?

(Incidentally, I notice you get list digests. When you reply to the
list, could you at least make sure that the Subject line is the same as
the e-mail you're replying to, otherwise your e-mail isn't linked to the
rest of the thread? Thanks. Alternatively, you could subscribe to a MIME
version of the digest -- go to
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list to switch settings.)

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | In a serial interface, the data bits move down a single
aprilcottage.co.uk | channel one after the other, like railway trains. This is