Re: empty directories installed by fc5 x86_64

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 15:49 +0000, Toad wrote:
> Replacing root=LABEL=/1 with root=/dev/hda in the third title entry
> results in kernel panic which may be consistent with all the empty
> directories.  I did RTFM and google LABEL but still not sure exactly
> how it works.

Can't help with the other issues, but the "root" part is for the system
"/" partition.  So whichever partition on hda it is, that's the one you
put.  i.e. it'd be "root=/dev/hda2" not just "root=/dev/hda".

Label is just a name put on the partitions, it could be anything (you
get to choose the name, almost freeform).  You can find out what's the
label for /dev/hda2 by this command:

  e2label /dev/hda2

You can change the label by writing the new one on the end.

e.g. e2label /dev/hda2 systemroot

It's handy if you move drives about, you can mount them by labels
without having to work out if they're hda1 or hdb2.  But a bastard if
you have installs with the same labels on different drives.  I've taken
to naming my drives with a texta (e.g. fred), then relabelling the
partitions accordingly.

e.g. fredboot, fredsysroot, or fred1, fred2

I read messages from the public lists.