Re: How much swap on laptop?

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 20:01 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:

> > Thanks Chris.  That's good to know.  I haven't checked out how much
> > space hibernate uses here and was simply passing on what I'd read.  So
> > actual use info is nice to have.  What's the simplest method to check
> > how much space hibernate is using?
>
> Well, for me, when I hibernate the system tells me how much is used. I think
> this feature was new (for me at least) with FC6. In FC5 it was just a blank
> screen whilst hibernating.
>
> I've run a few tests and the values seem a little higher than I first thought.
> The average seems to be around 380MB, when hibernating a full X session with
> KDE running, but most applications shutdown. The amount goes up a bit if I
> leave them running when hibernating.

I think that the entire X backing store (video memory) is swapped out in
hibernation.  If you have 256MB of video RAM, then 256MB of swap would
be used by that.  Just a guess.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -