Re: cpu overheating

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 16:07 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> On 12/12/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Mike Wohlgemuth wrote:
> > > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 06:38:15 -0600, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, the problem was caused by hardware. I cleaned out my computer,
> and it was pretty bad. Besides the cooling the hardware is good. I am
> waiting on some new hardware also, cpu fan and power supply, case fans
> and a new case. That should fix this problem.
>
> The question is why doesn't it do this on Windows when I run cpu
> intensive apps. I believe in Windows that it was close to overheating
> though.

Efficiency.

This is an issue that has cropped up from time to time since I started
using Linux.  The way Linux uses hardware is much more efficient than
Windows.  This is why some processes will work much better on Linux than
Windows and why you can do more with less hardware.

In the past there was an article that I read about actual testing that
showed the difference on hardware due to running Linux.  It was also a
great way to find poor hardware choices.

Here is a link on hardware issues.

http://www.drsdigitalimaging.com/PDF/Ultra%208%20Framing%20Camera%
202.pdf

It would be interesting to see the actual wait times that the processor
has under the various loads.  An intensive application (media
conversion) may still leave the processor waiting for hardware.

Maybe someone has some actual data on this.