Re: cpu overheating

Mike Chalmers wrote:
On 12/12/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

Of course it's a hardware problem. I haven't said otherwise.

I'd just like to find out what this "random" piece of software
is. If we find that xinetd or X or clockapplet is consuming 94.6% of his

See below.

CPU, is this not something worth knowing? OTOH, if we find that he
is running GIMPS, well, we know that's going to heat up his system,
and we can all forget about it.

Then he needs to clean out his case. If that doesn't work, then
he just has a marginal design, which is not uncommon.

Yes, the problem was caused by hardware. I cleaned out my computer,
and it was pretty bad. Besides the cooling the hardware is good. I am
waiting on some new hardware also, cpu fan and power supply, case fans
and a new case. That should fix this problem.

The question is why doesn't it do this on Windows when I run cpu
intensive apps. I believe in Windows that it was close to overheating
though.

Well, that I dunno. However, to find out (and to beat a very
dead horse) run top.

And, I am sorry for missing the fact that some had already identified
the software which is CPU intensive. I apologize for the oversight.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.