Re: Monitor destroyed by install

ols6000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
At 03:23 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
If how FC6 destroyed your monitor is _not_ important, then what's the
point posting about it? From a techies point of view, the how is the
most important part.

You are right, from the point of view of those that are maintaining Fedora, and I hope those techies can track down the problem and fix it.

I was, however, responding to those who were claiming that some piece of hardware was at fault, rather than FC6. Although I cannot prove that FC6 installation caused the monitor to fail, the circumstances are such that any reasonable person would reach that conclusion, even without being able explain the details.

I'm fairly reasonable, but I didn't reach that conclusion. Under no circumstances in a perfect binary world should software EVER be able destroy hardware. I don't believe it did. I don't believe either that ANY operating system should be responsible for checking the safeties on video cards and monitors.

If software gives a command to a video card to run in a resolution or frequency not supported by the monitor, then I believe ultimately it is the monitor which should simply refuse the signal, or communicate back to the video card that it is not supported. Or the video card should check what the monitor can do and communicate that back to the software. Under no circumstance should either the monitor or the video card (but I believe it really is the monitor's responsibility) just blindly accept the signal and blow itself out.

I believe it was a safety in the monitor that has failed.

I personally believe that is a more reasonable conclusion. Especially seeing as far as I know the Anaconda installer really runs pretty basic resolutions/frequencies when it installs Linux.

Regards,
Ed.