Re: Monitor destroyed by install

ols6000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
At 10:59 AM 12/11/2006, you wrote:

There isn't even a software capability to make that occur.

There is a warning in the monitor docs not to set the frequency and resolution out of range, as it can cause physical damage to the monitor.

Has that old thing come back? I thought we got rid of that when
EGA monitors came out in the bad old days. I recall malware which
*deliberately* burnt out monochrome and CGA monitors. Supposedly,
EGA monitors had built-in guards to prevent that. Perhaps a case
of "Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat its
mistakes."

The monitor was definitely working before the FC6 install, and definitely not afterward. During the install, the screen went blank and stopped responding to any signal (not just Linux).

 What is the bug#

I did report this as a bug, #218416.

Hmm. Sounds like a defect in the *monitor*, not the *software*,
to me, and I'd have taken the monitor back and demanded a full
refund if I saw that warning. (Before I connected it to a computer.)

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.