Re: Monitor destroyed by install

ols6000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
At 03:23 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
If how FC6 destroyed your monitor is _not_ important, then what's the
point posting about it? From a techies point of view, the how is the
most important part.

You are right, from the point of view of those that are maintaining Fedora, and I hope those techies can track down the problem and fix it.

I was, however, responding to those who were claiming that some piece of hardware was at fault, rather than FC6. Although I cannot prove that FC6 installation caused the monitor to fail, the circumstances are such that any reasonable person would reach that conclusion, even without being able explain the details.

The monitor should have successful protection circuitry for botched software interfacing incorrectly. The point you make regarding X having problems with sending the wrong signal to the monitor should not happen at the scale that it currently does. I see a lot more out of range problems lately and one recently regarding the MGA card.

Anyway, the software needs improved and the vendor of the monitor needs to know that their protective measures do not work. Both need to be fixed.

BTW - What driver does your video card use?

Jim

--
Never speak ill of yourself, your friends will always say enough on
that subject.