Re: What's The Limit

Steve Searle wrote:
Around 09:42pm on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 (UK time), Mike McCarty scrawled:

But, since there is no file, there is no EOF. Using dd
lets you control how much data you pull. The other techniques
don't do that.

Is there any way you can tell how big the file is on the CD, so you can
pull just the right amount of data.  Or do you need to remember how big
it was from when you wrote it to CD?

There is no file. A file is a creature of the file system in which
it lives. If there is no file system, there is no file. Unless you
either keep track separately, or put some other info on the CD,
there is no real way. File systems keep track of that information
in the directory. But you have no directory.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.