Re: cpu overheating

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 03:39 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Sorry, I guess I didn't make the exact context clear here.
> The OP claims that his machine seems to overheat when running
> Linux, but not Windows XP. Some seem to be saying "Well, you
> have an underdesigned machine. The problem isn't Linux. It's
> your box."
>
> My point is that there may actually be some defect in Linux
> which is eating lots of CPU on his machine, and this possibility
> should be investigated, not cast aside with "well, your system
> cooling is just underdesigned, get a new one".

Actually, I'd go along with the last argument (improve the cooling).  If
your box is overheating, whether it's due to strange conditions or not,
the fact that it *can* overheat is the important issue.

Therefore there's a chance that it can overheat during normal operating
conditions, if one of your normal operating conditions makes strong use
of the CPU.  So you DO want to improve your cooling.

All that is presuming that it really is overheating, and not just that
the over-temperature alarm, itself, is at fault.

I read messages from the public lists.