Re: cpu overheating

Mike Chalmers wrote:
> When I ran "yum update", when it started to install the updates it
> said something like cpu 0 overheating cpu 1 overheating. Then my
> screen went black for a second and the next thing I new is I was at
> the login screen.

Ouch.

If the CPU is overheating, then that's a hardware problem. Check your
fans, check BIOS settings to see what the temperature really is, check
that your heatsinks are properly attached. And check that your backups
are good.

What sort of system is it -- laptop? Desktop? How old is it?

> Having problems like this in Linux is unacceptable.

Quite. But blaming Linux is also unacceptable. If software can do this,
then that's a hardware fault -- hardware should not react like this
*whatever* software does. (For one thing, how do you know that this
wouldn't happen if you were running a malicious Java applet?)

> Once again, things like this are unacceptable. I am afraid to use
> Fedora 6 now. I alos, have am having problems after a clean
> installation.

That's misplaced fear -- fear your *hardware*.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | And WinCE... there should be BIG RED WARNING STICKERS,
aprilcottage.co.uk | like those IntelInside things. "This product contains