Re: Redirect domain to specific port

On 12/12/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 10:19 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     Is there a way to redirect a hostname/domain pair to a specific
> port?  Let me explain: we have several Windows machines on our local
> network that run VNC server that folks then access from outside our
> network.  Right now everyone connects by punching in the firewall
> address with the port number for their machine, for example
> firewall.domain.com:5901 resolves to my internal machine.  The problem
> is, for me to maintain these machines it becomes a hassle trying to
> figure out whether such-n-such machine is port 5904 or 5908.

If you were using addresses with numbers per machine, I'd simply add
them together.  So port 5902 was for machine at w.x.y.2, and so on.
You'd connect to a consistent address (e.g. w.x.y.z being your gateway)
for *all* external connections to any internal box, and just port
forward the ports.  Your firewall would redirect based on the port
numbers, alone.

If you only had a smallish number of boxes, that'd be easy enough to do.
If you had a larger number, I'd probably change from using port numbers
in the 5000's to something higher.

You'd only need to know the number of your box to connect to it.

I read messages from the public lists.

That's what the OP does now.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud