Re: Redirect domain to specific port

On 12/12/06, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Is there a way to redirect a hostname/domain pair to a specific
port?  Let me explain: we have several Windows machines on our local
network that run VNC server that folks then access from outside our
network.  Right now everyone connects by punching in the firewall
address with the port number for their machine, for example
firewall.domain.com:5901 resolves to my internal machine.  The problem
is, for me to maintain these machines it becomes a hassle trying to
figure out whether such-n-such machine is port 5904 or 5908.  So, if I
configure our DNS to have ashley.domain.com resolve to the firewall IP,
is there a way I can also have it go directly to whatever port I need it
to go to, so that all I'd have to do is enter that in my VNC connect
box, and not worry about what port number my machine is actually on?
Even if it means I'm maintaining an internal lookup map of what hostname
belongs to which port, that's fine.  I'd rather not have to remember
that every time.

The only way i know of is to have an ip per domain, then you can route
accordingly.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud