Re: opera

Tim:
>> If you keep your mail in a recognised mail format (mailbox, maildir,
>> etc.), then you can do all the things with it that a *decent* mailer
>> provides, quite easily (reply, search through stored mail, sort in
>> different ways, print it, etc.).  But if you transpose it into some
>> other format, you limit what you can do with it.
>>
>> ...[snip]...  These days I use a local IMAP server, and with an
>> ordinary mail client on any local PC, I can find and read anything I've
>> kept over the last few years.
>>
>> Now I've got a new chore coming up soon:  Upgrading the mail server box
>> without losing that.  Not looking forward to it...

Dotan Cohen:
> Which IMAP server do you use? I've been contemplating that for a long
> time.

Just the dovecot server that came with FC4.  As I recall, it was
relatively painless to set up.  I had tried to set up a second dovecot
on FC5, to figure out the tranposition, but I could never get the thing
to even start to work.  Consequently, I've let things stagnate for a
while.

Moving the mail seems to be one of the more difficult updating tasks.
I'm highly inclined to set up one box with something other than Fedora
on it, just for the mail.  I don't fancy facing this pallaver any more
than I have to.

I also wanted to try using maildir instead of mailbox.  I've read about
the speed differences between the two, and I've certainly observed
dovecots mbox system get slower and slower (really painfully 80286 slow)
as the mail spools got bigger and bigger.  Setting up a second server
with the same mail seemed like the obvious test to make, but got nowhere
with it.

I read messages from the public lists.