Re: looking for a way to shift evolution mail and all settings from FC4 to FC6

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 15:25 +1030, Tim wrote:
> What I haven't managed to figure out, or find an answer to, is how to shift his
> evolution mail, contacts, settings, etc., over to the new box.  Copying
> the .evolution folder over hasn't done the trick.  The import feature
> doesn't seem to want to know about importing from evolution, just other
> mail clients.  Can anybody point in the right direction?

You are right. Just copying the .evolution folder will only get the
messages, but not the settings.

I got some links for doing this from the evolution mail list. Someone (I
can't remember who), has written a script to backup your current mail
and settings into a tar file. Then you can move the tar file over,
follow its instructions, and everything will be restored. I have used
this several times with great success.

http://www.tux-planet.fr/blog/?2006/05/19/76-evolution-backup-script
(scroll down for the English version)

I also found this that could be useful.