Re: logwatch failing on mail to user

Claude Jones wrote:
> I've done this on multiple machines, and never had a problem, but I'm
> stumped. I've put my email address in the mailto line in the logwatch
> configuration file, and it appears to be trying, but fails. The errors
> look like this:
>
> The original message was received at Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:17:08 -0500
> from localhost [127.0.0.1]

> <claudejones@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Verizon are known for two things: trying bizarre things to stop spam
coming *into* their network[1], and being one of the world's worst ISPs
for the amount of spam coming *out* of their network. So you might well
want to blame Verizon. I certainly wouldn't expect that even e-mail
coming from a Verizon IP address would be exempt from their anti-spam
procedures.

What is the sender e-mail address for the e-mail? What's the domain
name?

If the domain doesn't appear in DNS, then Verizon are likely to block it
for that reason. (For example, root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

If the domain *does* appear in DNS, Verizon are likely to try to connect
to the mail server responsible to see if they can send e-mails to that
address. So if the domain name points to an IP address under your
control, but you don't have a mail server on that IP address to which
Verizon's mail servers can connect, Verizon won't accept it.

If the domain *does* appear in DNS and Verizon think they're responsible
for it, then they might decide that the e-mail has no business coming
from that particular IP address.

And they probably have other tests, too.

Because DNS and mailservers are not 100% reliable, Verizon won't
permanently reject e-mails. They'll reject with a "4xx try again"
message. (This is what greylists do -- it's just that greylists will
accept the second time. Verizon won't accept e-mails until you pass
their tests).

That's why you're seeing the 5 day timeout.

Hope this helps,

James.

[1] They're the twits who blacklisted all of Europe, for example.

--
E-mail:     james@ | Am I alone in receiving so much junk mail? Can these
aprilcottage.co.uk | people not get it into their thick heads that I do not