Re: Resizing an LVM volume to make way for XP install?

Whil Hentzen wrote:

>>> 1. I can't figure out how to do it (LVM says I need to unmount /home and
>>> it can't do that since /home is in use).
>>>
>> Change to the single user mode. As root, run "telinit 1". It is
>> preferable to do this from the CLI. You can then unmount /home.
>
> Hi Mikkel!
>
> (MLUG member, right?)

I used to be. I got tired of some of the people on the mailing list.
Especially one guy that would answer most questions with change to
freeBSD. (I never could figure out why he was a member of a Linux
user's group.)

> But once I've unmounted /home, how do I run the LVM tool? :)

You have to use the CLI version. Not as easy as using a GUI, but it
works. You could also tru running run level 3, log in as root,
unmount /home, and use startx to get X as root. (I don't normally
advise running as root, but this is a special case.)

>>> 2. I'm a-feered that /home being in a LV means that if I resize it, I'll
>>> have free space in a logical partition - and that XP won't/can't be
>>> installed in that logical free space.
>>>
>>> So.... suggestions?
>>>
>> I don't know enough about LVM to help you with #2. If it were just a
>> logical partition, I would use gparted, but I don't know how it
>> would handle a LV...
>
> Tried that. gparted doesn't see the insides of an LV. Just sees two
> partitions - boot and 'the other one' (/).

It may in the future. Right now, I am not sure it can be done. But
you can look at:

http://linux.msede.com/ext2/

and see if it helps. You may end up with the old fashion way of
backup everything, re-partition, and restore. Time to look at a live
CD with LVM support...

Mikkel