Re: Why doesn't Fedora include gksudo/gksu as a package

Ok Todd, your on.

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 13:23 -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > I got a few of my own stupidities straightened out and everything
> > works beautifully with zenity (in fact I can do quite a bit
> > including a rough debug) in a terminal, however my script will still
> > not launch from a desktop launcher or nautilus-script.  I have
> > googled and asked for a week and the only consistent answer I get is
> > "use gksudo/gksu".  I have nothing against them - I don't even know
> > them - but it seemed to me since I've got zenity and like its cute
> > little ways, I should see if I can make it do what I want.
>
> I'm not any sort of expert on using zenity and don't want to make you
> rehash stuff that's been hashed over on the list already, but if you
> have a pointer to those threads I'd be curious to try and see if it
> could be made to work.  It would be reinventing the wheel somewhat
> though, as this is precisely what gksu is intended to do.

Here's the script I've got now:

#! /bin/bash
# Open nautilus as root
# file name: RootBrowse
#  zenity --info \
#          --text="$PW"

# I don't need the PW variable and echo statement; they are left over
from a # debug attempt.  But they shouldn't do any harm at this point
either

sudo -K
# sudo -K should clean the sudo timestamp but isn't

PW=$(zenity --entry \
	--title="Browse files as root" \
    --text="Enter your _password:" \
    --entry-text "" \
    --hide-text)

echo $PW |sudo -S nautilus --no-desktop --browser \
     1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

if  [ "$?" != 0 ]; then
	zenity --error --text="Sorry, wrong password"
	exit 1
fi

# End

The problem is: Using various variations of the above script, I can get
it to run successfully from a terminal (particularly gterminal).  I have
been using it for a week.  But I would like to integrate it into my
desktop.  The RootBrowse script won't launch from either a desktop/panel
launcher or the nautilus-script right-click menu.