Re: Why doesn't Fedora include gksudo/gksu as a package

Thanks Todd;

I looked at Rahul's advice.

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 13:08 -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > The default solution used in Fedora is consolehelper. Might consider
> > look at packages like system-config* tools and the man pages if you
> > want to know more details.

I looked at the man pages for consolehelper and userhelper.  I have
enough Fedora battles to pursue at present without climbing the rather
daunting PAM and consolehelper learning curve.  Those other learning
curves and battles are the reason I wanted to browse as root in the
first place.

> I think you'd have to admit that using consolehelper to start up
> various programs -- somewhat random depending on the user's
> needs/wants -- is a pain in the ass.

It looks like a pain in the ass to me as well -- I was originally
looking for a way to make life a little simpler.

> If someone wanted to run a file browser as root once in a while, doing
> so via gksu nautilus is far simpler than creating a symlink to
> consolehelper in /usr/bin and adding a configuration file to
> /etc/security/console.apps/.  If the user wanted to do all that they'd
> have to open a terminal to do so and if they did that, the might as
> well just run sudo nautilus and enter their password there.
>
> I don't personally have a need for gksu but I don't think I'm the
> typical Fedora user either, as I always have a terminal full of tabs
> open, use mutt to read my mail, and generally prefer text to gui for
> most things.

Todd I appreciate you taking up the 'cause'.  I wasn't getting much help
elsewhere -- probably because I was mis-posing the question.