Continuing display problem

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 09:05 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>> Lonni J Friedman wrote:

>>> It sounds like X is hanging/crashing.  Can you boot to runlevel 3
>>> successfully/reliably?  if so, then you should do so, start X
>>> manually, and grab the X log to review.
>> I really hate to show ignorance, but it's never stopped me before. From
>> the grub screen, how do I get it to boot to runlevel 3? I'm more than
>> willing to get information to help people help me.
>>
>> I'd agree with the crash when I get the black screen, but I'm not sure
>> how that would cause the "Out of Range" errors.
> ----
> Press 'e' at initial grub screen. Use arrow keys to move to 'kernel'
> line. Press 'e' to edit
>
> Add to end of line ' linux 3'
> Press 'Enter' to save
> Press 'b' to boot
>
> or
>
> After bootup, Press <Control><Alt><F2> to get a virtual console. Login
> as root. Type 'init 3' and press enter (type 'init 5' to return to
> runlevel 5 when you are done).
>
> If you are at runlevel 3, you can probably just fix the setup anyway by
> typing...
>
> system-config-display --reconfig

Last night, I thought this had fixed the problem for a while. I ran
this, then was able to logoff without a problem. That hadn't happened
for a while. Prliminary checking seemed to indicate that the system was
working. Then, when I was getting ready to retire for the evening, I
logged off and went straight to "OUT OF RANGE".

On the bright side, coming up in "init 3" and running "init 5" seems to
bring the machine up - so I've at least got a way back up. As the
problem came back late, I'll be continuing analysis tonight. I'll post
the relevant log files after I've been able to get them tonight.

Thanks to all who have been helping with this.

---Michael