Re: *ALMOST* longing for Windows stability

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 09:05 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > On 12/5/06, Michael Satterwhite <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> About an hour ago, I logged off my kde session. My LCD monitor
> >> immediately went to a black screen - with no way of logging back in -
> >> when the session ended.
> >>
> >> It took me 8 (eight) times going through a reboot process before I could
> >> get FC5 to present me with a login screen. The first 7 times, I got
> >> either a black screen or an "Out of Range" error. Finally, it presented
> >> me with a login screen and I was able to get the system up.
> >>
> >> I *KNOW* this isn't typical ... if it were, no one on the face of the
> >> planet would be running Fedora. Unfortunately, that doesn't make my life
> >> any easier - it is happening here.
> >>
> >> There are some real experts here. I know, they've helped me out with
> >> other problems. Does anyone know how to fix this? While a real fix is
> >> what's needed, even a bypass - a way to get back to a login screen when
> >> the system is acting up - would be a tremendous improvement.
> >
> > It sounds like X is hanging/crashing.  Can you boot to runlevel 3
> > successfully/reliably?  if so, then you should do so, start X
> > manually, and grab the X log to review.
>
> I really hate to show ignorance, but it's never stopped me before. From
> the grub screen, how do I get it to boot to runlevel 3? I'm more than
> willing to get information to help people help me.
>
> I'd agree with the crash when I get the black screen, but I'm not sure
> how that would cause the "Out of Range" errors.
----
Press 'e' at initial grub screen. Use arrow keys to move to 'kernel'
line. Press 'e' to edit

Add to end of line ' linux 3'
Press 'Enter' to save
Press 'b' to boot

or

After bootup, Press <Control><Alt><F2> to get a virtual console. Login
as root. Type 'init 3' and press enter (type 'init 5' to return to
runlevel 5 when you are done).

If you are at runlevel 3, you can probably just fix the setup anyway by
typing...

system-config-display --reconfig

I suspect that your 'sync' rates are set too high for your LCD which is
why I suggested that you post

Craig