Re: *ALMOST* longing for Windows stability

On 12/6/06, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 09:05 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > On 12/5/06, Michael Satterwhite <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> About an hour ago, I logged off my kde session. My LCD monitor
> >> immediately went to a black screen - with no way of logging back in -
> >> when the session ended.
> >>
> >> It took me 8 (eight) times going through a reboot process before I could
> >> get FC5 to present me with a login screen. The first 7 times, I got
> >> either a black screen or an "Out of Range" error. Finally, it presented
> >> me with a login screen and I was able to get the system up.
> >>
> >> I *KNOW* this isn't typical ... if it were, no one on the face of the
> >> planet would be running Fedora. Unfortunately, that doesn't make my life
> >> any easier - it is happening here.
> >>
> >> There are some real experts here. I know, they've helped me out with
> >> other problems. Does anyone know how to fix this? While a real fix is
> >> what's needed, even a bypass - a way to get back to a login screen when
> >> the system is acting up - would be a tremendous improvement.
> >
> > It sounds like X is hanging/crashing.  Can you boot to runlevel 3
> > successfully/reliably?  if so, then you should do so, start X
> > manually, and grab the X log to review.
>
> I really hate to show ignorance, but it's never stopped me before. From
> the grub screen, how do I get it to boot to runlevel 3? I'm more than
> willing to get information to help people help me.
>
> I'd agree with the crash when I get the black screen, but I'm not sure
> how that would cause the "Out of Range" errors.
----
Press 'e' at initial grub screen. Use arrow keys to move to 'kernel'
line. Press 'e' to edit

Add to end of line ' linux 3'
Press 'Enter' to save
Press 'b' to boot

or

After bootup, Press <Control><Alt><F2> to get a virtual console. Login
as root. Type 'init 3' and press enter (type 'init 5' to return to
runlevel 5 when you are done).

If you are at runlevel 3, you can probably just fix the setup anyway by
typing...

system-config-display --reconfig

I suspect that your 'sync' rates are set too high for your LCD which is
why I suggested that you post

It seems highly unlikely that the problem is xorg.conf, as he stated
that it works fine some small percentage of the time.  Something bad
is happening elsewhere.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org