Re: How to configure wireless network card

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Aaron Konstam wrote:

Configuration is done through nm-applet which on FC6 runs automatically
at boot to produce an icon in the right side of the upper panel. Did you
try to use that? I use it on my WEP encrypted access points and it works
fairly well. The latest version also does LEAP authentication.

No nm-applet icon appeared in my panel.
I do have a program /usr/bin/nm-applet
which came with the NetworkManager-gnome.
When I ran nm-applet a space appeared in my panel,
as though something was trying to show itself,
but nothing actually appeared.
I'm running KDE - maybe NM only runs under Gnome?

No.

Did you "chkconfig NetworkManager on" (so it starts at boot) and "chkconfig netowrk off" (so NM manages the network) and "service network stop" and "service NetworkManager start"?

nm-applet should start automatically when the NM daemon starts or when you log in, whichever is later. You should have nm-applet (which should run in KDE) or the corresponding KDE applet configured to start at login.

I googed for an NM tutorial or FAQ but had no joy.
The faq is at:
http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

--