Re: How to configure wireless network card

> > NM is more than just a connection profile manager (system-config-network
> > can do that part, more or less).  It also wants to support seamless
> > roaming and other features to make dynamic connections transparent. Browse
> > the NM mailing list to see discussions about complexities of getting
> > reliable, dynamic connectivity over wireless.  Timing and signal quality
> > issues abound and support for the scanning NM needs to do is highly
> > variable across cards and drivers.
>
> Yes, it seems to me it is trying to do far too much,
> and not doing anything very well.
> If as you say it is difficult to cover all cards and drivers
> maybe it is not a good idea to try.
>
> I spent this afternoon trying to use NM with two different
> remote WiFi devices, a PCI Agere/Orinoco device and a Linksys WRT54GL.
> I had zero success with both.
> According to /var/log/messages the connection failed in both cases
> because it ran out of time.
>
> Incidentally one of the devices had WEP encryption
> but NM never asked me about this
> so I don't see how it could possibly have worked.
>
> There appeared to be no place for any kind of configuration,
> and the sole documentation provided with NM
> appeared to be a short README.
Configuration is done through nm-applet which on FC6 runs automatically
at boot to produce an icon in the right side of the upper panel. Did you
try to use that? I use it on my WEP encrypted access points and it works
fairly well. The latest version also does LEAP authentication.

> I googed for an NM tutorial or FAQ but had no joy.
The faq is at:
http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ

> What is really disturbing is that Windows XP has no problem
> accessing either of these WiFi devices
> (both running on Linux machines!).
>
> WiFi under Fedora really is dreadful.
> The only thing I can say for it
> is that SuSE was even worse.
>
> Why do none of the WiFi programs
> tell you what they have found,
> eg "Connected to remote machine but encryption key required",
> which it is clear they have learned from /var/log/messages ?
>
> I should add that I have WiFi working perfectly,
> by editing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 .
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Judges, as a class, display, in the matter of arranging alimony, that
reckless generosity which is found only in men who are giving away
someone else's cash. -- P.G. Wodehouse, "Louder and Funnier"