re: Fedora Video Card Problem

At 12:35 AM -0500 12/1/06, aceofspades12491@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Well you are correct, im fairly new to linux.
>1. To answer your first question i did infact accept many of the defaults.
>I only had the burned disc 1 and 2 and im not sure if thats of any help?
>But i was able to install with the two by using the standards, but getting
>rid of editors, and Joystick under gnome games. (i dont really know if you
>have to get rid of joystick or not).
>2. I set up about a 20 gig partition for FC and 1028 megs of swap for my
>1024 mes of Ram.
>3. It dual boots into windows Xp just fine, The graphics card works under
>xp just as it's supposed to.
>4. Ido get the text boot screen.
>5. It seems as though it is trying to start the Xserver, but the monitor
>then goes into sleep mode, and as an added bonus says frequency out of
>range.
>6. However it does not complete the boot cycle, or even get into the x
>server. Its an analog 1600 by 1200 monitor.
>
>I did infact try what Robin suggested, but after the install fedora asks
>you to set up firewalls, and account names, etc. Well needless to say that
>didnt work. I am able to use a different pc to view this while viewing the
>problem. As for bringin the monitor back to life, it did nothing and
>proceeded to sit there and face an onslaught of my choice vulgarities.(
>this is about the fourth time ive tried to install.) I am also able to
>take the X1600 out, and use the onboard graphics to install, which it does
>boot correctly and im able to get into fedora and play around. But having
>purchased a pricey gfx card, and dual booting with windows, i dont want to
>swap the card in and out every time i switch OS's.
>
>Sorry that was a bit long, but i appreciate the help immensely.
>-Matt

Have you booted to runlevel 3 (append 3 to the kernel command line in grub,
also remove "rhgb quiet"), logged in as root, and run
"system-config-display --reconfig"?

For more on this sort of issue, google for
"site:www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list display reconfig".
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>