Re: ssh -X shop problem...

Gene Heskett wrote:
I hear a hearty chorus of Amen's to that. Frankly, linux documentation is in far worse shape than it was in 1997, mostly because of the forking away from the universal manpage that has been done to the doc format. I don't know of the times I've needed to look at something in docbook format, even coming to this list to ask what others are using to view/print those things, and have been universally ignored, I assume because everyone is supposed to know WTF a docbook file is.

docbook files are normally converted to other formats, like troff (man) or HTML. This way, documentation can be maintained in a single readable (more or less) format and converted to a variety of formats.

Linux documentation doesn't suck because of docbook. It sucks because there aren't a lot of people who are interested in writing documentation, not many with the discipline to do it anyway, and not enough being paid to write it.