Re: ssh -X shop problem...

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 11:08, Les Mikesell wrote:
>On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 09:27 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >I don't know about FC2, but some prior version of Fedora or Red Hat
>> >Linux had X forwarding allowed as default, now it's disabled as
>> > default. You can change it, so all you'd type is "ssh gene@shop" or
>> > just "ssh shop" (if you were logging on remotely as the same
>> > username as locally).
>>
>> I have enabled all the X11Forwarding stuffs.  It appears to be being
>> ignored.  But as long as the "ssh -X gene@shop" works, its ok by me.
>
>You need 'ssh -Y' for most things now.  The documentation on this point
>leaves a lot to be desired.

I hear a hearty chorus of Amen's to that.  Frankly, linux documentation is
in far worse shape than it was in 1997, mostly because of the forking
away from the universal manpage that has been done to the doc format.  I
don't know of the times I've needed to look at something in docbook
format, even coming to this list to ask what others are using to
view/print those things, and have been universally ignored, I assume
because everyone is supposed to know WTF a docbook file is. Heck, just a
simple little menu choice called "docbook reader" would suit 99% of this,
but in the 5 years since everyone got on that bandwagon, I've yet to see
a reference that says what is to be used to read them with.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)