Re: failing to get small ide hdd setup to install from...

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 14:38 -0800, sport wrote:
> I am trying to use an eide 10GB hdd in place of a DVD to install fc6.  I
> have copied the DVD iso and mounted it, then used dd to write the
> bootdisk.img to the primary bootable partition which is /dev/hdc1 on
> this interface.
>
> My goal is to setup the 10GB drive as an install media, and install FC6
> to the primary 60GB hdd on /dev/hda interface.  I have used fdisk to
> partition the 10GB drive with a 250MB primary partition #1, also I have
> a second /dev/hdc2 set to swap of 250MB, and an extended #3, then
> a /dev/hdc5 with 8GB or so which I have copied the iso's, and have
> successfully mounted the DVD version with mount -0 loop -t iso9660 to a
> directory on the same partition.  Next, I used dd to copy the
> bootdisk.img to /dev/hdc1 which has been formated with ext3 and vfat
> with the same failure.
>
> When I try to boot the /dev/hdc disk the screen goes blank, then reboots
> the machine without bringing it down, more like a power fail.  There is
> no BIOS text written to the screen stating there is no bootable media as
> I would expect, so I think it tries to boot, then dies before anything
> can be written to the screen.
>
> Can anyone point me to a howto or other doc that discusses this somewhat
> unusual install method?

I am not sure I understand what you are doing here.
AIUI you are using dd to write the CD iso image directly to the
partition and thus seem to be trying to make it act like a CD for
booting.
I don't think that will work since a hard disk is not a CD and an
iso9660 filesystem will really confuse the system when trying to boot.
The BIOS likely will not be able to handle that.

I have never heard of anyone doing or even trying it that way.