Re: FC4 -> FC6 upgrade

On Monday 27 November 2006 19:39, CroombeFP wrote:
> Are you talking about doing this over the Internet or from a DVD?
>
> In my experience, it is far, far safer to re-install from scratch rather
> than trying to do an update. All one has to do is ensure that your /home
> is
> not overwritten or formated and one does this when the install gets to
> the
> place where partitioning method is being requested : go for "custom"
> then select those partitions to format and mount, leaving /home
> unaffected but the mount
> point set up.
>
> I found that a complete install from DVD took about 25 minutes (desktop
> mode
> with just about all the bells and whistles included). I am using an Asus
> Sempron with 1 GBy RAM, a SATA main drive and two IDE hard drives for
> other partitions.
>
> Otherwise, I have always had problems when trying to do an update.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Croombe F. Pensom

Just to add even more to your security, rename the mane configuration folders
in your /home (things like .kde and .gnome folders) and let new ones be
created.  You can copy across some setting files, or even copy and paste
relevant bits of the files, without the risk of problems if some things have
seriously changed.

Anne