RE: "Upgrade existing system"

> Hi,
>
> Can somebody tell me what exactly will happen when I "upgrade
> an existing system" to a new release?
> In this particular case, it would be FC3 to FC5 or FC6.
> Will it just upgrade to newer versions of currently installed
> RPMs, or will there be more complex changes?
>
> How big is the risk of something going wrong during the
> upgrade and my system being (partially) broken - assuming
> that I have a
> pretty "standard" server installation (text-mode only, no X11)?
>
> Also, can I do a direct upgrade 3->5 or 6 or should I do 3->4->5->6?

Over the holidays (in the U.S.) I upgraded one system FC4->FC6 and
one FC3->FC6.  Both worked cleanly.  They even handled my references
to the Livna repository nicely.  They did take a long time though.
A few of my Xinetd settings had to be redone and my ethernet connections
reverted to DHCP from static IP, but nothing serious.

After you get done, I would recommend running "yum upgrade" which
seems to clean up a lot of stuff and then run:
rpm -dq | grep -i fc4
to find any left over fc4 packages (use fc3 or fc5 as needed).
I then removed these by hand with "rpm -e packagename"

Bob Styma