Re: networking with Samba

On Sunday 26 November 2006 17:21, john s. wrote:

>   Its just me here... My aunt has old family photos (1897+); I packed up
> the laptop and scanner and went through the first batch Friday. I have
> one of the Windows boxes set up as storage only and would like to have
> the photos in a more 'secure' (meaning its easier to swipe the laptop
> than the box) place. Being able to access the printer would be a bonus.
>   Sidenote- my aunt/uncle are in their 60's/70's; having me scan the
> photos was quite a kick for them... They finally got a dvd player for
> the tv, but haven't figured out how it works- scanning the photos into
> the laptop was like rocket science. I was -very- impressed with the
> scanner prog I was using; I've been working with Windows for 7-8 years
> and the HP scanner program I've been using is -total- junk. I'm glad
> I've been installing Fedora (and other builds) onto the boxes here...
> I've been seeing how lame Windows really is.

If it were just to copy photos around, I'd say it's easier to just use a
pen-drive, memory-stick or CD.  However, the remote printing alone is
valuable enough to try for samba.  As Craig said, it's not very difficult,
and you'll get any help you need from the list.

BTW, what did you use for your scanner?  Just interested, as there are many
possibilities and I haven't tried most of them.

Anne