Re: networking with Samba

On 11/25/06, john s. <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'd like to attach my
laptop (FC6) to a Windows box. What are the steps for doing that? I'll
I am assuming you have samba set up... and you are using the gui else
you would need to edit the smb.conf file. Also I am assuming all you
want to do is file and print..
1. Make sure you a they are both in the same workgroup..(on the of nic
would be on the same switch as your windows box they should be on the
same IP block e.g. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for linux and windows
respectivity)
2. Set up users that would be logging on to the linux
3. If you require to share the Internet you would require squid which
is proxy and cache server..under /etc/squid/squid.conf

You might have to do some reading....

need to assign the network name to the laptop too. I can network Win
boxes together, but don't have a PHD in networking... :) I have two nics
in the laptop and would like to keep one set up for the internet and one
for a lan.

             John