Re: Ubuntu reaches out to embarrassed SuSE devs

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 10:23, Alan wrote:
> > We are hosting a series of introductory sessions for people who want to
> > join the Ubuntu community - in any capacity, including developers and
> > package maintainers. If you want to find out how Ubuntu works, how to
> > contribute or participate, or how to get specific items addressed, there
> > will be something for you. Iâ??ll also be on IRC on Tuesday 28th to answer
> > any questions you may have of me specifically, such as Luisâ?? questions
> > about our position on software patents.
>
> Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. We have "lets ship probably
> illegal binary modules with the next version of the OS" lecturing people
> who struck a deal with Microsoft which is borderline on the GPL.

Isn't 'illegal to distribute' something that is decided by
the copyright/patent owner, not some slightly interested
bystanders?    On the other hand, if it does turn out that
there is patented content in Linux or samba, the GPL will
prohibit distribution for everyone with or without Novell's
agreement unless it includes the unrestricted redistribution
rights that the GPL demands.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx