Re: amandas group membership in FC6?

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 25 November 2006 13:37, David G. Miller wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
Lots of stuff deleted since the conversation has drifted...
Useing kde-3.5.5, I didn't notice that option in the tools supplied.
There was Kusr, and something called user manager.  But the first time
I just ran 'adduser amanda'.
See Anne's recent post and correction.  system-config-users lets you
manipulate group membership, etc.

I'll have to join the chorus of objections here. That tool doesn't seem to be available anyplace on the kmenu. If thats the 'approved' tool to do that, then it needs to be a heck of a lot more accessible than buried someplace in an sbin directory that you have to issue a 'locate system-config' and see what falls out with a name that *might* indicate it what you want.
KDE may not see fit to include it since it's gnome-ish. It's Red Hat's standard user/group config tool. Found with others of it's ilk in:

[root@bend ~]# which system-config-users
/usr/bin/system-config-users
Dumb question: why didn't you just do a "yum install amanda
amanda-client"?  It's much easier than building amanda and manually
setting up the user, etc.
2 reasons,
1) whats in the repos is often a year or more out of date, and due to
the restrictions of the rpm packaging system usually has permission
problems that can only be sorted correctly by nuking the rpm and
following the build instructions to install the tarball.  This is the
first time I've had problems installing a tarball in 6 years!

2) I'm one of the canaries in this particular coal mine, I make and
install the new snapshots as often as Jean-Louis releases them, so if
there are any gotcha's I can report back the next day on their lists.
Thats one of my contributions to your having the worlds best backup
software.
I like my backup software to be VERY stable so I'll put up with whatever
Fedora decides is sufficiently stable to include in their distro.

Fedora has taken perfectly good code, and broke it all to hell making it fit in the rpm format, on several occasions. Often the packager doesn't use it himself, and has no idea how to go about throwing it out in the street to see if it can survive in traffic. Sorry if thats a bit too candid an opinion, but back when I wanted to start using it, I screwed around with whatever version was in rpm at the time for almost 3 months fighting with perms, finally discovering the mailing list, and got instructions on how to build it. The result worked the first night. And every night since except for an obscure bug that effected several snapshots in a row last spring, and a typo in the srcs of two snapshots, probably 5 & 2 years ago. Stable? Yes, very. We have 10x the trouble with gnu.org's ongoing screwing with tar, to the extent we now have a list of tars that work and tars that will not recover. In that regard, amanda is many times more stable that tar. But you folks always think tar is stable, so you go get the last release, make an rpm out of it, and apparently never actually test it in the real world. We do. Every night...

>From time to time one of the packagers checks into the list, and tries to understand the problems. But then like smoke in a whirlwind, gone again for 2 years or more because we think this is a great time to get amanda fixed, but your packager has thin skin & boogies. To get an idea of what it can do today, go get the latest snapshot from Jean-Louis's site at umontreal, link near bottom of page at amanda.org, unpack it, and read the ChangeLog. I don't even know if it goes back as far as the version fedora is currently shipping, but a lot of new capabilities have been added since then, with the only backwards breakage being the timestamps which once enabled in the wider format aren't compatible with pre-timestamped archives that have only a date stamp.

I seem to have hit a hot button. I haven't had any trouble with the amanda rpms. I'm currently running the server under CentOS 4.4 and clients under Fedora 6 plus backing up my wife's Windoze box as a samba share. About the only PITA was getting the tape changer configured since it's really an HP changer (C1557A) that Sun resells.
With regard to this problem:
[amanda@coyote GenesAmandaHelper-0.5]$ ls -l /mnt/hdb/home
total 36
drwxr-xr-x 21     33 disk   4096 Nov  8 23:37 amanda
drwx------  3 amanda amanda 4096 Nov  9  2004 elladene
drwx------ 14    502    502 4096 Nov 12  2002 elmer
drwx------ 36 gene   gene   4096 Nov  9 16:32 gene
drwx------  2 root   root   4096 Oct 22  2002 lost+found
drwx------  3    503    503 4096 Nov 21  2002 roadrunner
drwxr-xr-x 18 gene   gene   4096 Aug 14 03:42 shop
drwxr-xr-x 19   1000   1000 4096 Aug 13  2004 shop-gene
drwxr-xr-x  6   1002   1002 4096 Dec 14  2005 spamd
find provides a mechanism for finding all of the files with a particular
UID or GID and then doing whatever you'd like with them.  Something
along the lines of:

find / -uid 33 -exec chown amanda:disk {} \; -print

The predicate -gid can be used with numeric group IDs.  If you want to
confirm the changes, use -ok instead of -exec.

Valid for the FC2 tree's, amanda is 501 on FC6. I probably am overdoing it, but I (root) just 'chown -R amanda:disk *' from inside the /home/amanda dir.

Point taken though.  Thanks.
Just change the numeric UID or GID as needed. Also, I think amanda likes to have some of the stuff under /etc/amanda owned by the amanda user. But that could be a Red Hat-ism. 501 is probably what you get for a UID by creating the user through one of the regular user management tools. Amanda is still user 33 on my clean FC6 install. It's usually a good idea to have system users like amanda have a UID outside of the normal user range.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce