Re: VDQ FC6 : GUI for permissions??

Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:13:58 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> [....]
>> You might want to look at Midnight Commander (mc). It is a curses
>> based CLI tool, so you will have to run it in a terminal window. The
>> nice thing about it is that you can highlight a file, directory, or
>> a group of them, and change permissions using check boxes for the
>> permissions you want. (Ctrl-X c or F9 --> File --> cHmod )
>
> I've long wondered what that was. How do you invoke it? It's been around
> long enough that the command is surely short; I thought I had also seen it
> in my Gnome menu, but I don't now. Nor do I see it in the list I get if I
> tell Konqueror "man:m"
>
> But "mc" doesn't seem to be the command, either :
> [btth@localhost ~]$ mc
> bash: mc: command not found
> [btth@localhost ~]$
>
> (I presume it's installed by default; I'm not sure how to check. The new
> FC6 search function seems not to do the things I want it for.)

I am not sure if it is installed by default or not in FC6. It is one
of the programs that I use so often that if it is not installed by
default, I make sure to install it. You invoke it with mc, so that
is not working, you will need to run "yum install mc" to install it.

One thing you may find interesting - in Gname Terminal, from the
File --> Open Terminal menu, you have the option of opening a MC
terminal when Midnight Commander is installed.

If you want a GUI program to do this, Nautilus will do it. You right
click on the file or directory, pick Properties, and then the
Permissions tab. (I don't do it often enough, so I had to check the
steps...)

Mikkel