Re: Ubuntu reaches out to embarrassed SuSE devs

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 13:53 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 13:22, Craig White wrote:
> > >
> > > Isn't 'illegal to distribute' something that is decided by
> > > the copyright/patent owner, not some slightly interested
> > > bystanders?    On the other hand, if it does turn out that
> > > there is patented content in Linux or samba, the GPL will
> > > prohibit distribution for everyone with or without Novell's
> > > agreement unless it includes the unrestricted redistribution
> > > rights that the GPL demands.
> > ----
> > agreed - but since there are not any existing patent claims on any GPL
> > code of which I am aware of beyond the SCO suit which still awaits
> > adjudication, there is little to worry about on that end.
>
> Haven't you been keeping up with the news?  It's all a matter
> of time now.
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9005171&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1
>
> Probably a long time - Microsoft can drag things out as long
> as they want.
----
directly quoted from the article...

"My reaction is that so far, what he [Ballmer] said is just more FUD
[fear, uncertainty and doubt]," said Pamela Jones, editor of the
Groklaw.net blog, which tracks legal issues in the open-source
community. "Let him sue if he thinks he has a valid claim, and we'll see
how well his customers like it."

Officials at Red Hat Inc., the leading Linux distributor, also dismissed
Ballmer's comments. "We do not believe there is a need for or basis for
the type of relationship defined in the Microsoft/Novell announcement,"
said Mark Webbink, deputy general counsel.

This is simply Microsoft FUD - If you wish to buy into it, that's your
issue.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the moment that Microsoft files suit
against some large corporate user for infringement (they aren't likely
to sue a Linux distribution), that they will alienate the entire
corporate world. A bully doesn't beat up on people to project
strength...a bully merely threatens. Let them threaten all that they
wish - who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

Craig