Re: Ubuntu reaches out to embarrassed SuSE devs

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 13:22, Craig White wrote:

> > Isn't 'illegal to distribute' something that is decided by
> > the copyright/patent owner, not some slightly interested
> > bystanders?    On the other hand, if it does turn out that
> > there is patented content in Linux or samba, the GPL will
> > prohibit distribution for everyone with or without Novell's
> > agreement unless it includes the unrestricted redistribution
> > rights that the GPL demands.
> ----
> agreed - but since there are not any existing patent claims on any GPL
> code of which I am aware of beyond the SCO suit which still awaits
> adjudication, there is little to worry about on that end.

Haven't you been keeping up with the news?  It's all a matter
of time now.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9005171&source=NLT_AM&nlid=1

Probably a long time - Microsoft can drag things out as long
as they want.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx