re: fedora registration.

Subject:
Metrics and your privacy
From:
"Mike McGrath" <mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:39:05 -0600

To:
"For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

So we're looking for better ways to find out exactly who is out there
and what Fedora is being used for.  I've been compiling thoughts and
ideas on a metrics site.  Please take a look and comment.  What are
you, the community, most comfortable with?  Where's the line where
you'd check the check box to not participate?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Metrics

         -Mike

I like the idea of a voluntary registration. Granted, it is less inclusive, but any form of of MANDATORY anything is going to be met with resistance. I think we would have good results if we let everyone know that it is a good way to combat M$ FUD campaigns. If we can show that Linux is installed on 37% (or what ever the percentage really is) of the computers - M$'s claims that they have 92% of the market will look REALLY bogus!