Re: "/var/lib/cracks"???

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 11:01 am, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> John Aldrich wrote:
> > I vaguely remember installing something regarding cracking tools...
> > however, I'm not positive. I became concerned when I stumbled across
> > a directory tree /var/lib/cracks. It appears to be password cracking
> > tools. Just want to make sure that's something that got installed
> > intentionally, and that I haven't been hacked...
>
> I don't find /var/lib/cracks but there is a /var/lib/crack provided by
> the crack password cracking program/library.
>
> Try this sometime (as root):
>
> yum whatprovides /var/lib/crack (replace dir with the one you're
> curious about)
>
> This shows the packages that match that file/dir, in this case crack.
> You can then use yum info crack to get more information about the
> package.

Thanks. I was having problems installing an RPM earlier and I saw this
directory (yeah... I added an "s" to the end. It *is* /var/lib/crack) and
panicked... I rebooted since I suspected there might be a stale lock file
somewhere and got Yumex running and sure enough, that's what it was... the
password cracking dictionary. :-)

Sorry for panicking... thought maybe I'd been hacked or something.
	Thanks
	John