re: fedora registration.

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 10:05 -0600, Zscoundrel wrote:
> Subject:
> Metrics and your privacy
> From:
> "Mike McGrath" <mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:
> Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:39:05 -0600
>
> To:
> "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>

> So we're looking for better ways to find out exactly who is out there
> and what Fedora is being used for.  I've been compiling thoughts and
> ideas on a metrics site.  Please take a look and comment.  What are
> you, the community, most comfortable with?  Where's the line where
> you'd check the check box to not participate?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Metrics
>
>           -Mike
>
> I like the idea of a voluntary registration.  Granted, it is less
> inclusive, but any form of of MANDATORY anything is going to be met with
> resistance.  I think we would have good results if we let everyone know
> that it is a good way to combat M$ FUD campaigns.  If we can show that
> Linux is installed on 37% (or what ever the percentage really is) of the
> computers - M$'s claims that they have 92% of the market will look
> REALLY bogus!

My beloved Grandfather used to tell me "Figures don't lie, but liars can
figure".  Statistics won't be much help in this battle.  Nor does the
number of people running Linux (which by the way includes Microsoft, who
runs many applications on Linux servers especially through the third
parties hosting some of their web access).  Will Microsoft sue the
people hosting their applications and web support?  If they don't, then
what does that say about the logic of any suit they advance?

Regards,
Les H