Re: Hard Drive Error Disk or Motherboard?

At 7:49 AM +0800 11/22/06, Mel wrote:
>Paul Ward wrote:
>
>> Can anyone explain a way totest these disk so I can be sure they are
>> not corrupt.
>
>At the risk of angering the gods, do you have access to a Windows
>  system?
>
>There is a test program that I have used that seems to be an extensive
>test program.
>
>It comes from IBM/Hitachi and is called a "Drive Fitness test". They
>request you run it before asking them for help with a disk problem or
>before returning a disk because you think it is defective.
>
>You can find it at: www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

MSWindows isn't needed.  Download the binary image and copy it to a floppy
with dd.  Instructions for Linux at the URL above.

Actually, most drive manufacturers will have some such download.  You might
prefer the one(s) for your drive(s).

It could well be that you have a problem with the IDE interface, cable, or
the power supply.  It might help to test the drives in a different machine.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>