Re: Hard Drive Error Disk or Motherboard?

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 12:41, Paul Ward wrote:
>Thanks guys for the in depth knowledge of ide drives, I had no idea it
>made that much difference myself but then I guess that is why I am
>having problems.
>
>To throw some more information on the fault, as I said I ended up
>using my spare test drive with FC6, this has been a trooper and allows
>me to keep working.
>
>I decided to plug the troublesome drive into IDE1 as master, no other
>drives were connected and I had the same issues thus I thought proving
>the drive was playing up, but then I had the Idea of adding it as a
>master of IDE2 and using the test drive as the master IDE1, everything
>seems fine, I can mount the troublesome drive and see the data, I can
>even read and write to it???? Does this mean my IDE1 controller is at
>fault?? if so I guess it must be related to the chipsset / drive make?

That I dunno about, but I can relate that I have one box, with a
Mach-Speed mobo in it, that flat doesn't like an attached /dev/hdb under
any wireing circumstances.  If I hook up a drive as /dev/hdb, both drives
will have trashed filesystems shortly.  But since its bulletproof with
just the main drive, and an older dvd-rw as /dev/hdc, and its main job is
to run my milling machine, thats how its running.  Kubuntu-6.06 on it,
running an older HEAD of emc2.  Works fine.  In this case, and based on
nearly 60 years of watching things electronic go bump in the night, my
bet is on a buggy ide chipset.  I changed the drive cable twice,
interchanged the drive twice and finally just gave up since even the
smallest of those two drives was 20x what it needed to do its job.

Here's an lspci from that box:
root@shop:~# lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [KM400/A] Chipset
Host Bridge
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
0000:00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
(rev 74)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce
FX 5200] (rev a1)
root@shop:~#

Do you have anything that matches the above list in your box?