Re: Hard Drive Error Disk or Motherboard?

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:17:52 +0800
Mel <mel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tim wrote:
> >
> > IDE/ATA doesn't use termination, SCSI does.
> >

> I don't believe that is true. I believe they both use termination.

This is correct, although the termination requirements for ATA are
simpler due to the cable shortness and other designs. Because of this you
should always have a single drive on the end of the cable not in the
middle (although it often works either way)

  Controller<=====Longest Part of cable===>Drive2<===Short bit===>Drive1

It seems to be convention to put the master on the cable end.

Alan