Re: Backup recommendations

Stuart wrote:
"Thom Paine" wrote:

I am also thinking about a backup stratagy for my home
network, but am concerned about a rsync-only stratagy.
If my house burns down, it will take the rsync disk
with it.

I have a cheap computer in my unattached garage that I have a cat5
wire ran to. So basically I do offsite backups.

Another alternative is to put a machine at a friends house. Do an
rsync on your local lan to get the bulk of the data backed up to the
machine, and then lug it over and hook it up to their internet and
port forward port 22. Then you can use rsync with ssh via  the
internet for your backups. I do this with some small business clients.

Interesting idea! Not usable for me at present because one of the risks where I live is forest fire so it's possible the whole neighborhood will burn up at the same time. The other reason is that I live in a third-world part of the US where 128kb isdn is considered cutting edge technology. We don't even have cell phone coverage here.

I keep three backups at a time. One is a full, which is stored
at a friend's house about 15 miles away. The other two are
incrementals. When the medium for the incremental gets full
or when a month or so passes, or when I feel the need, I
make another full.

I thought that with DVDs I could bring them to work and keep them in the office for safe keeping. I suppose I
cold do the same with some kind of portable HD but dvd
seems like a cheaper solution that will also provide for
archiving and well as backup.

If you have a real need for secure backups then either use
a safety deposit box, or a real archival company.

You have found the bank of Larn.