Re: kwallet vs kmail, will somebody please shoot one of them?

On Monday 20 November 2006 07:51, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>On Sunday 19 November 2006 16:44, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >I've certainly had problems with kwallet in the past.
>> >I see from my records that I last met this in January 2006 (was that
>> > FC-4?) when I wrote:
>> >-------------------------------------
>> >Apologies - I was right-clicking on the wallet in the task bar,
>> >which took me to KDE Wallet Manager,
>> >which appears to have no password option.
>> >But when I left click on the icon,
>> >I get a different window with the same name,
>> >but with a wallet icon on it.
>> >When I right-click on this icon,
>> >I am indeed offered an option to change the password.
>> >
>> >I have taken advantage of this to reduce the password to nothing.
>> >-------------------------------------
>> >
>> >I don't know if this is relevant to FC-6,
>> >as I have had no kwallet problem since then.
>>
>> I started it from the kmenu, which brought up the icon adjacent to the
>> date/time on the taskbar.  A right click on that brought up a menu and
>> I chose configuration.
>>
>> checking the enable button unghosted the rest of the options and I
>> chose to create a pair of .wallet files.  And while it went thru the
>> motions, I don't believe they were created as they didn't show up when
>> selecting the default wallet for that function.  I've just prowled
>> thru the .kde tree and found a .kde/share/apps/kwallet/kwallet.kwl
>> file, 60 bytes of binary data, and its dated about 50 hours ago when
>> it last crashed/rebooted the box.
>>
>> There is also a .kde/share/config/kwalletrc, which looks like this:
>> -------------
>> [Wallet]
>> Close When Idle=false
>> Close on Screensaver=false
>> Default Wallet=
>> Enabled=false
>> First Use=false
>> Idle Timeout=10
>> Launch Manager=true
>> Leave Manager Open=false
>> Leave Open=false
>> Local Wallet=
>> Prompt on Open=false
>> Use One Wallet=false
>> --------------
>
>For what it is worth, mine says
>---------------------
>[tim@martha ~]$ cat .kde/share/config/kwalletrc
>[Auto Allow]
>kdewallet=kmail,kwalletmanager,konqueror

And its this section that is missing^^^^^^

>[Wallet]
>Close When Idle=false
>Close on Screensaver=false
>Default Wallet=kdewallet
>Enabled=true
>First Use=false
>Idle Timeout=10
>Launch Manager=true
>Leave Manager Open=true
>Leave Open=false
>Prompt on Open=true
>Use One Wallet=true
>---------------------
>
>However, I've verified that on my FC-6 system,
>the recipe I gave above seems to work.
>If I say "kwalletmanager" this brings up a wallet icon in my panel.
>If I LEFT click on this icon, a window with a wallet icon comes up.
>If I RIGHT click on THIS icon, I am asked if I want to change
>my wallet password.

Which at first seemed to have been stuck in a loop, I had to change it
twice before the requesters went away.  And its enabled, so well see if
sending this reboots my box, but first I'm going to save it in drafts...

And when I selected the pulldown, the requester came up and would not go
away, putting the composer behind kmail and locking kmail up totally.  I
had to enter the password (I thought this was supposesd to automate that)
and select verizon as the account to use, at which point it sent the
message!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)