Re: kwallet vs kmail, will somebody please shoot one of them?

On Sunday 19 November 2006 08:48, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Anne Wilson wrote:
>> Maybe something that you did copy is the cause of your woes, though.
>> You seem to be the only one with your particular problems, which makes
>> me suspicious of those copies.
>
>I've certainly had problems with kwallet in the past.
>I see from my records that I last met this in January 2006 (was that
> FC-4?) when I wrote:
>-------------------------------------
>Apologies - I was right-clicking on the wallet in the task bar,
>which took me to KDE Wallet Manager,
>which appears to have no password option.
>But when I left click on the icon,
>I get a different window with the same name,
>but with a wallet icon on it.
>When I right-click on this icon,
>I am indeed offered an option to change the password.
>
>I have taken advantage of this to reduce the password to nothing.
>-------------------------------------
>
>I don't know if this is relevant to FC-6,
>as I have had no kwallet problem since then.

I started it from the kmenu, which brought up the icon adjacent to the
date/time on the taskbar.  A right click on that brought up a menu and I
chose configuration.

checking the enable button unghosted the rest of the options and I chose
to create a pair of .wallet files.  And while it went thru the motions, I
don't believe they were created as they didn't show up when selecting the
default wallet for that function.  I've just prowled thru the .kde tree
and found a .kde/share/apps/kwallet/kwallet.kwl file, 60 bytes of binary
data, and its dated about 50 hours ago when it last crashed/rebooted the
box.

There is also a .kde/share/config/kwalletrc, which looks like this:
-------------
[Wallet]
Close When Idle=false
Close on Screensaver=false
Default Wallet=
Enabled=false
First Use=false
Idle Timeout=10
Launch Manager=true
Leave Manager Open=false
Leave Open=false
Local Wallet=
Prompt on Open=false
Use One Wallet=false
--------------
and its dated 5 minutes ago when I was fooling with it and tried to create
a wallet file per the two choices shown.  I may set First Use=true just
for grins & restart it.  Here goes...  No difference, it still doesn't
create the wallet.  And nothing is being logged about it
in /var/log/secure, nada, zip.  And running it did not cancel the First
Use=true in that kwalletrc.

I've started an updatedb session and when its done I'll see if locate can
find the three wallets I tried to create.  In the meantime, should I nuke
both of those and let it create new ones?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)