Re: [OT] Re: Mount NTFS disk as a read and write volume and not read only.

On Nov 19, 2006, at 7:40 PM, Craig White wrote:

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 16:29 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 19:18 -0500, redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Surely less hassle if the disk wasn't completely full, 26k left. When
I did what you're suggesting, the windows installer didn't recognize
the parition format and wanted to reformat it. With ntfsfix I was
able to repair the disk, cause windows crashed when the disk got
full, and with ntfs-3g I mounted it and deleted all the junk it had.
I put it back in the PC and windows booted with no problem.
Thanks
EJ

I find it rather amusing that Microsoft's own tools could not fix the
NTFS stuff, but Free tools which were entirely reverse-engineered had no
troubles fixing it. :)
----
I would expect that if you put the drive into a computer that had a
Windows boot disk, you could mount the disk and do much the same thing.
Not much to marvel at...move on.

Craig

I place the hard drive in one of those enclosures to make it portable and plug it into a PC. It never mounted and after five minutes Windows crashed. After restarting the PC, the same happened. This is the reason I turned to this list for advice. I think there's enough to marvel. I called a PC tech I know and he told me that if the disk got completely full it was probably damaged and I had nothing to do but reformat it. The Windows XP installer, after booting into rescue mode, gave me an unknown format partition message and asked to reformat the drive.
With Fedora it worked.
EJ